My 6 LB Tent

Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2013
Labels: | 0 comments

I'm 2.1 pounds over my goal weight on my pack, and I know exactly where they are: my tent. When I was buying my tent, I had to take several factors into consideration:

  1. I'm kind of poor. I simply couldn't justify anything over $150, sad as it is.
  2. My most frequent camping buddy is 5'11" and she doesn't seem to like tiny tents and/or snuggling with me. Must needs have slightly spacious two-man tent.
  3. I wanted something in which I could stay dry, set up with frozen fingers, play card games while it rains, use a footprint/fly set up, and yes, please look cool.
After weighing all these considerations, I picked up an ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 two-man three-season tent from SteepandCheap.com for $116 + shipping (retails at $250). I was feeling very pleased with my purchase... and then I decided to hike a section of the AT this summer. All of a sudden, my tent/fly + poles + footprint + stuff sacks = 6 pounds of shelter sounded MASSIVE!

And really, for this kind of trip, it is. It's twice what it "should" weigh. The first steep incline in VA may have me wishing I could toss those three extra pounds off the cliff. HOWEVER, I have decided this is a "hike your own hike" moment. 

My budget and needs at home meant I needed this particular tent. Would I love a lighter tent? Sure, if you'll buy it for me. But the lesson here is that you buy what you can afford and get what you'll use the most. Buy quality and don't let anybody pick on you for making practical and financially savvy choices.