The Food Question

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013
Labels: | 0 comments

Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a foodie.

Whew, good to get that off my chest. But what to do with this fact while taking extended trips in the backcountry? I like good food, I like a light pack, and I like leaning back with a full tummy and licking my spoon clean because it was delicious. So begins my notes:

The By-Day Baggie

I just made that name up (I think). It's the idea of having everything you need for one day of food in a single bag and just working your way through the bag. They appeal to me for ease of packing/planning, ease of knowing what you have left, and calorie/nutrition tracking. I'm not sure if they create more garbage, bulk, and weight from the myriad of ziplock bags involved. Also, since I have a peanut allergy and will be bringing Sunbutter (not available in small packets) I would still have a small jar of it outside the baggies anyway. Still mualing over this one.

Wood Trekker has a great post on this concept, though it's probably more candy than I would take. These are his pictures of 2000 cal meal bags.